After the graduation, fresh electrical/electronic/computer engineers in Pakistan typically go to one of the following types of job:
- In the telecom sector: either vendor side Mobilink, Telenor, or the Operators: Huawei
- In the power sector, some power plants or the government jobs in WAPDA etc.
- Join the likes of NESCOM and SUPARCO
- In the Embedded and Control field, where we find names like PowerSoft19
- Join a set of fertilizer companies and oil refineries
- Go into Networking Sector
- Join the academia as Lectures/Lab Engineers hoping to be professors one day
- Some join the software sector
The current situation of job market by no means is perceived to good by any means. It is hard to find a job and in cases even an internship while the institutes are churning out more and more engineers annually or bi-annually.
Again there are taboos and myths and varying descriptions of realities associated with each career path.
The scarcity of jobs, lower than expected pays and continuous questioning on part of relatives about salary and marriage is disheartening is and sadly, often heard of. Patience and keep trying on is the usual advice floating around.
People think of finding jobs outside Pakistan which in most cases needs some years of experience.
A common alternative is to opt for a Masters Degree, either from a local university or go abroad. If the parents are willing to support your next degree and you are not too picky, getting admissions and visas is the only delay in your path. However, if you have to wait for offers with scholarship, you are into the lot of the troubled. There are not many scholarships for just a coursework based Masters and you are not willing to take the research path for you want to return to industry.
In case, you believe you can somehow manage the finances, the big question is what will happen after Masters??
Will you be able to get a job in field of your choice or any field what so ever??
If you return to Pakistan, will the MS be of any value?? Is it not better to continue your current job and get some experience ??? But when will the situation in the country itself improve ???
Such the the woes of a fresher electro....
Do you have a solution to his problem? Do you have some experience of thoughts to share ???